Wednesday, July 2, 2008

An Explanation

The title for my blog actually came from a poem written by the genius Emily Dickinson, who I recently have began to appreciate. Audrey and I have started to analyze her poems to expand our minds, since we both have pretty mindless full-time jobs. I really love all of her poetry, and find myself deeply connected to each theme.

I think this poem can be viewed from so many differing perspectives. I think almost anyone can get something out of it.


I died for beauty, but was scarce
Adjusted in the tomb,
When one who died for truth was lain
In an adjoining room.

He questioned softly why I failed?
"For beauty," I replied.
"And I for truth,--the two are one;
We brethren are," he said.

And so, as kinsmen met a night,
We talked between the rooms.
Until the moss had reached our lips,
And covered up our names.