Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What do you want to be when you grow up?

So I've been thinking a lot lately about these things called life plans. Mostly my thoughts seem to gravitate towards the fact that I have none. Well I have plans, but not for my life. Well, I do, but they all seem so rocky right now.. and it stresses me out. For instance: I want to major in Classical Vocal Performance, but if by some miracle I do get in, I will be in school for 6 years, and that just seems like crazy-talk to me. But I do have back-up plans. I am starting a Communications major and a Sociology major.. now realistically, I should only start one.. because that is THREE majors, but no, me being me, and not having good life plans: I am doing three majors. Now someone might read this and think to themself, "That doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world, I wished I was interested in three things enough to want to major in all of them." To you that is thinking this: do not be deceived. I am completely dreading all three of these things, that is why I have three, I do not want to commit to any of them and dig myself in a deep hole.. so instead I am digging three shallow holes.. so in the end I am going to die of dehydration because I never got deep enough to get the water from my well.
It is so pathetic that I have such an easy lifestyle, and am surrounded with support and people that love me, and yet, I feel so uneasy constantly.
Gr. Life Plans.

1 comment:

Jerry said...

In response to the question of your title, the only thing that I’m sure I want to be when I grow up is an adult. I think it might happen soon because my old shoes are getting too small for me.

My other goal is to live forever—and so far it’s working. The problem I have now is like yours, what am I going to do forever? I could be an astronaut, but that would take a lot of math and years before I would even get a chance to go into space. I could be a rockstar, but I would have to spend all my time playing and never get to go into outer space. I could be President of the United States of America, but then 2/3 of the country would hate me. Now, if I only had to worry about supporting myself and choose simply by preference it would be hard enough, but choosing an occupation to support a future family makes it difficult because I would have to worry about my kids getting too close to the sun, getting made fun of on MTV, or not buckling up in Air Force 1.